The Dirty Dirty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Executive Term Length

+3
Knights Inquisitor
River
Serenel
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Executive Term Length Empty Executive Term Length

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:54 pm

Now whether we have a Prime Minister/Premier, or a President, they can both have the same length of terms, so i thought we could just start this debate now.

so how long do you think it should be?

personally i say 8 weeks (usually about two months, but because of months like Feb, and months where there is 31 days and 30 days, usually falls a bit short of that)
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Executive Term Length Empty Re: Executive Term Length

Post  River Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 pm

To short. It takes a Chief Executive almost a month to assemble his/her cabinet, set the agenda for the Ministers/Secretaries and get things rolling. Been there, done that. A 13 week term would allow time to accomplish something.
River
River

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

I have been the Prime Minister of several Regions, some large, some small.

it takes a day at the most to assemble a cabinet, as you usually have an idea of who you want during your campagin, and have made the arrangements accordingly.

and takes a week at most to get the ball rolling, i have been there and done that.

that leaves plenty of time to pass legislation and get things done.

also we have to take into account that elections mean activity, which means a flourishing region.

if your elections are too far apart people are usually turned off and dont participate, when people move to a region, they want to feel like the have a chance to change things, and like most people want it right now and at this moment.

i believe this time frame allow things to get done as well as showing new nations it wont be long before you can mix it up on the campagin trail, or show your support of the administration through voting.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:08 pm

If the entire term is 13 weeks, it will leave only 8 or 9 weeks of real time to get things rolling, assuming it takes 4 weeks to assemble a cabinet. Does that seem like enough time to really accomplish anything?
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Knights Inquisitor wrote:If the entire term is 13 weeks, it will leave only 8 or 9 weeks of real time to get things rolling, assuming it takes 4 weeks to assemble a cabinet. Does that seem like enough time to really accomplish anything?

it doesnt take 4 weeks to assemble a cabinet Rolling Eyes

and things in this game are very fluid and fast paced, it really only takes two weeks to accomplish things, major undertakings, maybe 6.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Executive Term Length Empty Far too short

Post  Architektonikon Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:13 pm

I find all of the suggestions to be far too short. At least a year is what I think.
Architektonikon
Architektonikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Shocked Do you know what happens in NS within the span of a year?

from year to year the political landscape and population and...everything is entirely different...
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Embarassed I misread the earlier post, as month instead of day. My apologies. pale
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  River Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Serenel wrote:I have been the Prime Minister of several Regions, some large, some small.

it takes a day at the most to assemble a cabinet, as you usually have an idea of who you want during your campagin, and have made the arrangements accordingly.

and takes a week at most to get the ball rolling, i have been there and done that.

also we have to take into account that elections mean activity, which means a flourishing region.

if your elections are too far apart people are usually turned off and dont participate, when people move to a region, they want to feel like the have a chance to change things, and like most people want it right now and at this moment.

i believe this time frame allow things to get done as well as showing new nations it wont be long before you can mix it up on the campagin trail, or show your support of the administration through voting.

I'm glad that you have been so successful. But, you leave out the one necessary ingredient to accomplish that; knowledge. In a start-up region, one never knows who is capable of doing what and what the overriding goals and objectives are for the region. You have no idea what my strengths or weaknesses are in the game. I do have them.
River
River

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 pm

River wrote:
Serenel wrote:I have been the Prime Minister of several Regions, some large, some small.

I'm glad that you have been so successful. But, you leave out the one necessary ingredient to accomplish that; knowledge. In a start-up region, one never knows who is capable of doing what and what the overriding goals and objectives are for the region. You have no idea what my strengths or weaknesses are in the game. I do have them.

Suspect i am not trying to attack you in any way river.

i am just telling you what i have seen through out my five year tenure in NS.

heads of government usually always know who they want in thier cabinet, and usually always have ideas right out of the gate of what they want to do, and how they want to leave their mark on the office.

i am sorry if you felt like i was attacking you, or being mean to you, you are an important member of this region and i have nothing but respect for you and what you are trying to do here.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  River Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:45 pm

I did not say that you were attacking me, Serenel. I was merely stating my experience in start-up regions. Granted, after a time here, I too will know who is capable of doing what, but until that time comes, I would be at a loss at immediately choosing a cabinet in the time frame you mention. Perhaps I am more cautious and deliberative.
River
River

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:49 pm

oh.

well i have founded a couple regions myself.

and personally i have found through debate on the constitution, and activity through the forum, and personal messages i have with people, you get a sense of who you want, and what they want.

also usually during a campagin, people send out 'feelers' to other nations seeking if they would want a job, or what job they would be interested in if not that one.

iunno, maybe we both just do buisiness differently.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:53 pm

I know that if I had aspirations to be the region's first 'Premier', then I would be sending out "feelers" already...

Perhaps women are less shady?
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  River Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm

I believe you are correct we do.

The regions that I founded, either didn't have a Constitution or had minimalist one that I had written. There were more pressing matters, like having fun than worrying a Constitution.

River
River

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:00 pm

which is why none have been President yet
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  River Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Heck, I've only been active here a couple of days, so I'm an unknown quantity.
River
River

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:54 pm

okay...so since we seem to be at a stand still, what does everyone feel about a compromise of 10 weeks?
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Serenel wrote:okay...so since we seem to be at a stand still, what does everyone feel about a compromise of 10 weeks?

I'm willing to come together on this.

I can agree to 10 week terms.
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anglenburgh Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:58 pm

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:
Serenel wrote:okay...so since we seem to be at a stand still, what does everyone feel about a compromise of 10 weeks?

I'm willing to come together on this.

I can agree to 10 week terms.

So are we thinking an average of 2 months?
Anglenburgh
Anglenburgh

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 pm

tech. two and a half months about...depending on the time of the year
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Anglenburgh Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Okay, I'm not that great with months and weeks lol they always change Suspect lol
Anglenburgh
Anglenburgh

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Anglenburgh wrote:Okay, I'm not that great with months and weeks lol they always change Suspect lol

stupid Gregorian calendar....
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:21 am

I concur. Ten week terms.
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  River Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:23 am

That would give us 5 - 10 week terms per year and a partial carryover to the following year. I would prefer 4 - 13 week terms per year and no carryovers.
River
River

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:19 pm

River wrote:That would give us 5 - 10 week terms per year and a partial carryover to the following year. I would prefer 4 - 13 week terms per year and no carryovers.

Well, there's really nothing forcing us to use the standard calendar year as a basis. I mean, what's the point?

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer longer terms, but I think 10 is a nice round number that people can agree on.
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next