The Dirty Dirty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deputy Premier

5 posters

Go down

Deputy Premier Empty Deputy Premier

Post  Serenel Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:17 pm

okay, in our system, we are trying out a rather unique system.

it is similar to the American Vice Presidency, but a tad more powerful.

so the question arises that if a Premier is ousted, or resigns, or becomes inactive, or whatever.

it is natural the Deputy Premier will then become the Premier.

however in our system, the Deputy Premier is the Speaker of the Assembly, as such has a vote in the Assembly, and is a full member, to whereas the Premier is not a member, and in our constitution (or atleast the rought draft i am writing up) is mandated not to be an Assembly member.

so a solution i propose is this:

upon the acsention of a Deputy Premier to the office of Premier, an automatic vote is triggered with in the Assembly, to either allow the new Premier to continue his role as Speaker of the Assembly, until he for some reason leaves or becomes inactive or the next election cycle begins. Or they can vote to elect a Speaker Pro Tempore, who will reside over the Assembly until the next election cycle. However this Speaker Pro Tempore shall not be the Deputy Premier, and if the new Premier for whatever reason can not finish out the term, they are not automatically a 'new' new Premier.

what do you guys think?
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Deputy Premier Empty Re: Deputy Premier

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 pm

I am in agreement with everything put forth here; however, I think it would be best in the event of DP becoming Premier, they would relinquish Assembly vote and a Speaker Pro temp would be selected.

Just seeing as how we define the office of Premier, I do not think an "accidental" Premier should maintain their Assembly vote while in the chief executive office.
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:16 am

I can go along with the new Premier having to automatically drop from his role as Speaker of the Assembly, and the Assembly automatically electing a Speaker Pro Tempore.

however i just thought that if the Assembly as a whole saw no problem with allowing the New Premier the additional role of Speaker until the next election cycle, it should be allowable.

but i do agree it is alot of power invested in one person, even if it is for a short amount of time.

so if everyone else wants it that way, that is the way it shall be done.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Anglenburgh Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:04 am

I like the idea of a Speaker Pro Tempore.
Anglenburgh
Anglenburgh

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:29 am

I believe Speaker Pro Tempore is a good system to go with. It is possible otherwise for a charismatic Deputy Premier to move to being Premier and Speaker and conceivably introduce some 'radical' changes to the government.
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Knights Inquisitor wrote:I believe Speaker Pro Tempore is a good system to go with. It is possible otherwise for a charismatic Deputy Premier to move to being Premier and Speaker and conceivably introduce some 'radical' changes to the government.

Indeed, we feel it is best for the DP to assume the office of Premier, as defined by our Constitution.
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Architektonikon Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 pm

What do you think of just a new election?
Architektonikon
Architektonikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:19 pm

a New election is possible.

but the whole reason we elect a Deputy is that they can ascend to the Office of Premier, and have legitamte power, because they too were popularly elected by the citizens of The Dirty South.

Also this maintains a 'continuim' of government and policy and administration if you will, so that we can have a smoother transistion.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:21 pm

rbaumill wrote:What do you think of just a new election?

For continuity of government, I believe it is best for the region to have a line of succession, if you will, that will serve to keep government running in the event of removals from office, CTE's etc.

Holding a new election would take 10 days, according to our Constitution; a 10 day period without a Head of Government seems pretty ridiculous to me.

I would like to hear your reasoning behind proposing a new round of elections. I am intrigued to see what your thoughts might be.
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anglenburgh Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:33 pm

A clear cut line of succession is a necessity, especially in times of crises.
Anglenburgh
Anglenburgh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down