The Dirty Dirty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Legislative Branch

2 posters

Go down

The Legislative Branch Empty The Legislative Branch

Post  Serenel Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Okay guys, we have alot to do here, we have many options available to us, please come in and discuss.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

The Legislative Branch Empty Re: The Legislative Branch

Post  Serenel Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 pm

Okay, i admit this thing was kind of rushed because i want to try and get this thing to vote by mid-night, because we the sonner we vote on this, the sonner we can start elections, which means we can really start to get things done, and try to bring activity back to normal levels.

so tell me what you guys think.

really take your time and look at it, make sure i included everythying, and that the language looks okay, there were a couple of things i almost left out, so double check and make sure everyting is here.

Section I-The General Assembly

Article A-Structure of The General Assembly

1. The Legislative power of the region shall be invested in The General Assembly of The Dirty South.

2. The General Assembly shall consist of every member nation of the Dirty South who is also a citizen.

3. Every member nation shall be entitled to one vote, and only one vote, on every matter before the General Assembly. However, voting shall not be compulsory.

4. Every member nation of The General Assembly shall be entitled to propose motions in The General Assembly and shall be entitled to participate in the debate of all motions. The nation who proposes the motion, shall hence forth be titled, the Sponsor of the motion.

5. All votes in The General Assembly pertaining to proposed motions are to be cast by secret ballot. However, this does not prevent any member of The General Assembly from expressing their opinion or revealing their vote.

6. The General Assembly shall be headed by the Office of The Speaker of the Assembly.

Article B- The Power of the General Assembly

1. The General Assembly may pass any motion that is not expressly forbidden by this Constitution, with special reference to Section VI, Article A.

2. The General Assembly shall have the power to either consent to a Premier’s appointee to a Secretarial Department, or prevent them from serving in the cabinet of The Dirty South.

3. The General Assembly shall have the power to either consent to a treaty with foreign Regions, or prevent the Dirty South from entering into such relations.

4. The General Assembly may over-ride a veto of the Premier.

5. Once a motion is passed, it becomes an Act of the General Assembly of the Dirty South, and is binding on all citizens and civilians of the Dirty South.

Article C-The Speaker of the Assembly

1. The Speaker of the Assembly shall be the citizen nation that has ascended to the Office of the Deputy Premier of The Dirty South.

2. The Speaker of the Assembly shall have the power to open voting on motions.

3. The Speaker of the Assembly shall have the power to close voting on motions.

4. The Speaker of the Assembly shall have the power to present motions that have passed the Assembly to the Premier for signature.

5. The Speaker of the Assembly shall have the power to present motions that are vetoed by the Premier to the General Assembly for further debate and possible over-ride.

6. The Speaker of the Assembly shall have the power to set the rules and regulations of the General Assembly in any area that is not already prescribed or prohibited by this Constitution.

Article D- Debate and Voting

1. The length of the debate on any particular piece of legislation is the decision of its Sponsor. At any time the Sponsor may request the Speaker take a draft of their motion to vote.

2. The Speaker of the General Assembly may encourage the Sponsor to wait longer in the spirit of debate, or if he thinks the motion is ill-written. However the final word on moving the motion to the vote is the Sponsors, and if the Sponsor, after due warning still requests the motion to be sent to voting, the Speaker of the Assembly is compelled by this constitution to comply.

3. Voting on a motion shall last for a period of four days.

4. At the end of the scheduled voting period the motion must have attained the threshold of 50%+1 to have passed The General Assembly.

5. If the motion succeeds at attaining the threshold of 50%+1, the Speaker of the General Assembly shall present the motion for signature to the Premier of the Dirty South.

6. If the motion fails at attaining the threshold of 50%+1, the Sponsor may ask the Speaker of the General Assembly to resume debate of the motion on the floor of the Assembly.

7. It will then be the Speakers prerogative to allow further debate on the motion or to lay the motion to rest, at which point the motion may only be brought back for debate at a time the Speaker feels is appropriate, or if a new citizen nation ascends to the Office of the Speaker of the Assembly the sponsor, or a new sponsor may bring the motion back to the floor of the Assembly for further consideration.

Article E- Over-riding the Premiers veto

1. The General Assembly of The Dirty South is granted the power to over-ride a Premier’s veto by a 2/3rds majority vote.

2. When a Premier veto’s a motion of the General Assembly, if they attach a ‘Letter of Recommendations’ the Speaker of the General Assembly shall present the motion, along with the Letter of Recommendations to the General Assembly.

3. At such a time the General Assembly shall hold a debate to either include some or all of the Recommendations suggestion by the Premier, or to ignore the letter entirely.

4. If the General Assembly includes the suggestions, the motion is considered a new and unique motion, and the process of passing the motion shall be the same as the process laid out in Section I, Article D.

5. If the General Assembly chooses to ignore the Recommendations made by the Premier, they may then move to over-ride the veto of the Premier.

6. The voting period would last for the standard four day voting length period.

7. The motion must attain a threshold of 66% to be considered successful, and at such a time the motion becomes a Act of The General Assembly of the Dirty South.

Article F- The Consent of the General Assembly

1. The General Assembly shall shows it consent in the form of a motion passed in the usual way laid out in Section I, Article D.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:36 pm

Serenel wrote:
Section I-The General Assembly

Article A-Structure of The General Assembly

1. The Legislative power of the region shall be invested in The General Assembly of The Dirty South.

2. The General Assembly shall consist of every member nation of the Dirty South who is also a citizen.

3. Every member nation shall be entitled to one vote, and only one vote, on every matter before the General Assembly. However, voting shall not be compulsory.

4. Every member nation of The General Assembly shall be entitled to propose motions in The General Assembly and shall be entitled to participate in the debate of all motions. The nation who proposes the motion, shall hence forth be titled, the Sponsor of the motion.

5. All votes in The General Assembly pertaining to proposed motions are to be cast by secret ballot. However, this does not prevent any member of The General Assembly from expressing their opinion or revealing their vote.

6. The General Assembly shall be headed by the Office of The Speaker of the Assembly.

Article B- The Power of the General Assembly

1. The General Assembly may pass any motion that is not expressly forbidden by this Constitution, with special reference to Section VI, Article A.

2. The General Assembly shall have the power to either consent to a Premier’s appointee to a Secretarial Department, or prevent them from serving in the cabinet of The Dirty South.

3. The General Assembly shall have the power to either consent to a treaty with foreign Regions, or prevent the Dirty South from entering into such relations.

4. The General Assembly may over-ride a veto of the Premier.

5. Once a motion is passed, it becomes an Act of the General Assembly of the Dirty South, and is binding on all citizens and civilians of the Dirty South.

Article C-The Speaker of the Assembly

1. The Speaker of the Assembly shall be the citizen nation that has ascended to the Office of the Deputy Premier of The Dirty South.

2. The Speaker of the Assembly shall have the power to open voting on motions.

3. The Speaker of the Assembly shall have the power to close voting on motions.

4. The Speaker of the Assembly shall have the power to present motions that have passed the Assembly to the Premier for signature.

5. The Speaker of the Assembly shall have the power to present motions that are vetoed by the Premier to the General Assembly for further debate and possible over-ride.

6. The Speaker of the Assembly shall have the power to set the rules and regulations of the General Assembly in any area that is not already prescribed or prohibited by this Constitution.

Article D- Debate and Voting

1. The length of the debate on any particular piece of legislation is the decision of its Sponsor. At any time the Sponsor may request the Speaker take a draft of their motion to vote.

2. The Speaker of the General Assembly may encourage the Sponsor to wait longer in the spirit of debate, or if he thinks the motion is ill-written. However the final word on moving the motion to the vote is the Sponsors, and if the Sponsor, after due warning still requests the motion to be sent to voting, the Speaker of the Assembly is compelled by this constitution to comply.

3. Voting on a motion shall last for a period of four days.

4. At the end of the scheduled voting period the motion must have attained the threshold of 50%+1 to have passed The General Assembly.

5. If the motion succeeds at attaining the threshold of 50%+1, the Speaker of the General Assembly shall present the motion for signature to the Premier of the Dirty South.

6. If the motion fails at attaining the threshold of 50%+1, the Sponsor may ask the Speaker of the General Assembly to resume debate of the motion on the floor of the Assembly.

7. It will then be the Speakers prerogative to allow further debate on the motion or to lay the motion to rest, at which point the motion may only be brought back for debate at a time the Speaker feels is appropriate, or if a new citizen nation ascends to the Office of the Speaker of the Assembly, or a new sponsor brings the motion back to the floor of the Assembly for further consideration.

Article E- Over-riding the Premiers veto

1. The General Assembly of The Dirty South is granted the power to over-ride a Premier’s veto by a 66% majority vote.

2. When a Premier veto’s a motion of the General Assembly, the Speaker of the General Assembly shall present the motion, along with any Letters of Recommendations, to the General Assembly.

3. At such a time the General Assembly shall hold a debate to either include some or all of the Recommendations suggestion by the Premier, or to ignore the letter entirely.

4. If the General Assembly includes the suggestions, the motion is considered a new and unique motion, and the process of passing the motion shall be the same as the process laid out in Section I, Article D.

5. If the General Assembly chooses to ignore the Recommendations made by the Premier, they may then move to override the veto of the Premier.

6. The voting period to override an Executive veto will last for the standard four day voting length period.

7. The motion must attain a threshold of 66% to be considered successful, and at such a time the motion becomes a Act of The General Assembly of the Dirty South.

Article F- The Consent of the General Assembly

1. The General Assembly shall show its consent in the form of a motion passed in the usual manner described in Section I, Article D.

I cleared up Article D, Clause 7 a little bit. The wording was rather vague, so please go over it and let me know if my edits reflect what you were trying to achieve.

I also made a few minor grammatical changes in Article E, Clause 6 and in Article F, Clause 1.

I also changed all factors of (2/3) within the legislation to uniformly reflect 66% just for a standard reference within the Constitution. This would prevent legality issues with votes that end up around 2/3 or 66%. I think it is better to have the exact percentage laid out.

Rgds.,
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks CES.

i have altered some things however, that may or may not cancel our your suggestions, or clarify some things.

i am posting our constitution in its entierty now in the Constitutional Hall, so please take a look at the legislative section there, and let me know if it looks good.

I am going to start the poll at midnight.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Should probably make a whole new section for it.

Just to make it super obvious that something new is happening and all that.
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:48 pm

Okay, not a problem.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Also in this section.

Remove the "however" in Article F, Clause 2. There is no need for it.
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:00 pm

done
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:22 pm

I sent you the proposed edits needed for the FULL Constitution { in a telegram in game }, so everything should be all-set for later on tonight.

Let me know when you have edited some stuff.
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down