The Dirty Dirty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating a Dirty South Miltary

+3
Cool Egg Sandwich
Anglenburgh
Columbia Station
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Creating a Dirty South Miltary  Empty Creating a Dirty South Miltary

Post  Columbia Station Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:40 am

With the very real possibility of war, I believe that we, the Dirty South,should create a Dirty South Military. Here we can debate
having a military
military activeness
military size
and any thing else has to with a creating and maintaining a military.
Let the debating begin.

Columbia Station

Back to top Go down

Creating a Dirty South Miltary  Empty Re: Creating a Dirty South Miltary

Post  Anglenburgh Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Well, first we should establish what type of region we want to be, neutral, defender, raider? I think we have already talked about this a little, but I'm not entirely sure.
Anglenburgh
Anglenburgh

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbia Station Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:47 pm

I think we should stay as we always been, a neutral region. The military could just be used for defending us from the invaders.

Columbia Station

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Columbia Station wrote:I think we should stay as we always been, a neutral region. The military could just be used for defending us from the invaders.

Similar to Japan, we could establish a defense force. We are not legally allowed to "attack" anyone, but we can mobilize to defend the region from invasion...
Cool Egg Sandwich
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:31 pm

In view of a neutral stance, I would suggest a militia system surrounding a small cadre of Military leadership whose responsibility would be to organize and administer the militia. Specific duties of the militia would be to counter raider activity within The Dirty South, which action would be preceded by a Call to Arms. Militia members would potentially be all able nations. Militia activity otherwise would be minimal. I do not believe the Military should be political in any way. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Anglenburgh Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:26 pm

I agree with the above!
Anglenburgh
Anglenburgh

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbia Station Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Knights Inquisitor wrote:In view of a neutral stance, I would suggest a militia system surrounding a small cadre of Military leadership whose responsibility would be to organize and administer the militia. Specific duties of the militia would be to counter raider activity within The Dirty South, which action would be preceded by a Call to Arms. Militia members would potentially be all able nations. Militia activity otherwise would be minimal. I do not believe the Military should be political in any way. Anyone else have any thoughts?
And there wold be an election to decide the military leader, and have him/her decide the rest of the "war council" , or have a election for each position. Also, how many officials will be in this "war council"

Columbia Station

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Let me just start off by saying i think it is great all of this activity i am seeing in the General Assembly!

However i must point my colleagues to some pertinent information.

according to the constitution, the Premier is the Commander and Chief of the military.

so we are already going through that election Columbia, lol.

so it will be up to the Premier to organize the Military.

now, as the Assembly i suppose we could pass legislation to 'oversee' the military in a way...maybe form an 'Armed Services' committee, however i dont think that is necessary at this point, the Premier hasnt even had a chance to take a seat in his comfy new chair and we are gonna start telling him how to run his Military? iunno seems slightly premature to me.

just a thought!
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbia Station Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong place , but place have we elected a Premiere?

Columbia Station

Back to top Go down

Post  Columbia Station Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:15 pm

After reviewing the constitution, it only briefly mentions the Dirty South Military, with no regulations or steps in creating one. That is why we are here debating what it should be like.If there is no regulations, there could be a completely different military every 10 weeks, with a new Premiere,that is why we are talking about this.

Columbia Station

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:14 pm

You are very correct, in essense we could have a different military every 10 weeks.

and dont get me wrong, i am all for a good debate! Very Happy

thats what the GA is for.

i was merely speaking towards the concept that the Premier is the commander and chief and as such would be in charge of the regulations, and merely suggesting we should see how that goes before we step in.

however if everyone else thinks we should go in head long, then be my guest.

i would suggest maybe the creation of a standing committee to 'oversee' the Military and make sure everything is on the up and up.

and maybe the GA could write up and draft a decloration on the stance of our region, I.E Nuetral, or Defender.

i am taking Invader off the table, if we were invader, i would have no qualms in saying i would do everything in my power to make sure we were the poorest invaders ever.

and also i would highly encourage us to become defenders.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:38 pm

I am rather against the idea of holding elections for the position of "military leader". I feel it would be best to have the Premier be the Commander in Chief of the Military, the Secretary or Minister of War/Defense, and a Marshal or General forming the War Council. Holding elections for military leadership positions seems very political for an organization which should remain apolitical. I believe it would be best for military stability if the General Officer position be more permanent, similar to the Chief Justice, with the Minister of War/Defense being decided by the Premier. In the future, the Assembly might decide to create a Military Overseeing Committee, but since The Dirty South is still small, it seems like it would currently be excess bureaucracy.
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Well in essence we do hold elections for the Military Leader...because the leader of the military is the Premier.

however i would agree that the Assembly probably does not need an oversight committee, because at this point the people on the committee, would probably be in the military, lol.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Premier as Military Leader is a given. However, the US President has relatively little to do with Military Management on any regular basis. Most military affairs are handled by SecDef and the Joint Chiefs.
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Well even the Sec. of Def is required to be a civilian, removed from active duty for like 10 years or something similar.

however, that is rather insignificant, as in NS most of the time all hands that are available are go on the missions, and as such most of the time the commander will be the Premier themself.

also the Premier will be extremely involved in the development of the Military, just as per usual in NS, and will probably be in charge of coordinating training missions, and the like.

now of course this is usually in close conjunction with a select few advisors, but in NS the de facto commander and chief and the actual commander and chief are the same person.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  United Midwest Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 pm

On the topic of militia my own country encourages all able-bodied men and women between ages of 18-65 to participate in the country's military service for at least two years. Since this is not a draft nor a conscription(if there is indeed a differance), it is usually received rather well. Many leaving high school join to help pay for future college pursuits.

United Midwest

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Seems like the Premier will have plenty to do without having to deal with the day-to-day running of the military, don't you think? It's one thing for the Premier to lead the War effort alongside the military, another thing to have to deal with training, instruction, introduction, and similar military affairs, especially as The Dirty South continues to expand. Also, we would likely have a Defense Minister to aid the Premier, similar to the SecDef in the US. And having a senior military officer would give the military more cohesion.
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:11 pm

I don't see much difference between draft and conscription, and no one should be required to participate in the Militia against their will.
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:11 pm

It really does depend on the type of Premier you have.

you are correct there does seem to be alot of exciting things coming up for the Dirty South, but it doesnt take that much to manage it.

and it really does depend on how active the Premier wants to be, if the Premier wants to manage the development of the Military (and it has just been my unique expereince that they do. However my experience could be the exception and not the rule).

however you are correct the option to delegate such authority will def be there if the Premier would rather take that route.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:20 pm

Speaking from military experience, cohesion and stability tend to fluctuate and/or suffer whenever there is a command shift. I would strongly suggest having a more permanent command structure, subordinate to the Premier, that won't potentially change with every election.
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 pm

In RL terms i agree with you.

however NS sadly does not mirror RL.

in NS a month can mean everything.

with in the span of maybe three months, a nation can burst on to the scene as the next big thing for that region, and then three months later that nation is dead and has CTE...

keeping consistancy is not something that will come from even a 'more permenant' position.

of course we will try, as the Military wont be elected, but nations will still come and go, be active for a week, and then not log on for two. Its just the way of life i have found in NS.
Serenel
Serenel

Back to top Go down

Post  United Midwest Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:33 pm

Oh no no KI. I abhor the idea of universal drafts. As such they are encouraged, not required to serve in the armed forces for two years. The only time a draft may be instituted is in a time of dire need. The people of my country have fought for their independance before and more than half are ready to go into active service again, most that don't go into military service usually help out on the home front. Much like the idea of Rosie the Riverter.

United Midwest

Back to top Go down

Post  Knights Inquisitor Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:56 pm

Which is why I believe that a "permanent" position, like Field Marshal, be appointed by the Premier to oversee the DS military. In the sad event the Field Marshal can no longer be fit for duty, a subordinate on the established chain of command be ready to replace him or her ASAP. Of course it would be ideal for the Field Marshal to have a firm commitment to the Dirty South, it would ultimately fall to the Premier to make that decision. And UM, I didn't mean to imply that you supported involuntary conscription. If I came across that way, you have my sincerest apologies.
Knights Inquisitor
Knights Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  United Midwest Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51 am

I may have misunderstood what you were saying on my end KI. Mostly because I am unfit to serve in the armed forces due to chronic illness. My capacity would be working on the homefront. If I was in active service I think the best service I could give is as a cook. But as such I am "physically unfit" to serve in the armed forces. Granted if I was drafted I'd probably shoot myself in the foot and go into the stockade rather than fight on the front lines...

United Midwest

Back to top Go down

Post  Architektonikon Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:51 pm

What about a plan to thwart invasion?
Architektonikon
Architektonikon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down