The Structure of the legislative branch

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: The Structure of the legislative branch

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:23 pm

River wrote:Foreign Dignitaries interfering in the internal affairs of the Dirty South? While they are registered on this forum, they should be masked to only have read permissions on such sub-fora as are deemed appropriate for their viewing.

Naturally this would be the case. Unless of course said dignitaries were, in rare occasions, aiding with TDS internal political affairs. I do admit that this would be a very rare occurrence, if ever at all.

~Teh Dirty South Boss geek
(Founder)
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:26 pm

well of course they would have their own mask, however they would still be considered as 'registered' on our forums, and accordingly would have a member number.

also they will probably be able to 'view' most of the forum besides the government areas and such.

like they will have access to our common areas such as current events, introductions, and our embassies and the like.

of course this is just my assumptions from my experience, in reality i suppose it would be up to our elected heads of government.
Serenel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anglenburgh on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:04 am

I am all for democracy, don't take me wrong, but I feel like a unicameral system is too simplistic. I like puzzles and I am very bureaucratic... I advocate the Bicameral system as you all already know. But, should majority wish it, I will accept a unicameral system Neutral
Anglenburgh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:25 am

well, from my perspective it looks like we have three people advocating a unicamerial system, and two people advocating a bicamerial system.

even though the 'majority' seems to be on my side of things, i dont want anyone to feel left out, so i feel like we need to come to some sort of compromise here...im just at a loss as to what i can propose...i've never heard of or i dont know how, a one and a half camerial system would work geek lol!

so anyone have any bright ideas?
Serenel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:33 am

Serenel wrote:well, from my perspective it looks like we have three people advocating a unicamerial system, and two people advocating a bicamerial system.

even though the 'majority' seems to be on my side of things, i dont want anyone to feel left out, so i feel like we need to come to some sort of compromise here...im just at a loss as to what i can propose...i've never heard of or i dont know how, a one and a half camerial system would work geek lol!

so anyone have any bright ideas?

I think we may just have to wait and see. Possibly with more input from some 'other' members, a clear cut choice will emerge. There really is no way to compromise between the two proposed ideas, at least nothing I can think of.

(Founder)
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  River on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:36 am

River wrote:May I offer this approach. We have a bicameral system, but where we have a General Assembly comprised of all citizens and an elected Legislature comprised of, say 5 individuals. The GA can propose and vote on legislation, but that legislation would have to pass the elected Legislature to be enacted/to become law. Legislation could be initiated in the Legislature, but would have to be approved by the GA.

I think that this is as close to a 1½ cameral system as we can get. The select few and the great unwashed. Laughing
River

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anglenburgh on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:31 pm

I like that idea River! Yays! Laughing compromise, we could call the Elected Legislature something catchy like the House of Electorates and the lower house would be the Grand/General/Regional Assembly? I prefer Regional Assembly Wink
Anglenburgh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Shocked ummm...thats not really compromise, thats just you guys getting what you want in a bi-camerial legislature.... Embarassed Suspect
Serenel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Serenel wrote: Shocked ummm...thats not really compromise, thats just you guys getting what you want in a bi-camerial legislature.... Embarassed Suspect

ROFL

We'll figure something out, we just need a few more people in on the debates.

(Founder)
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  River on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:10 pm

BTW, if we go with just a General Assembly, who will keep them focused and inline?

May I suggest that some daily posts on the RMB regarding the CC might draw some activity here.
River

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:25 pm

River wrote:BTW, if we go with just a General Assembly, who will keep them focused and inline?

May I suggest that some daily posts on the RMB regarding the CC might draw some activity here.

Hmm, I'm not sure who/what exactly would keep the General Assembly 'in line', but I am sure that is some authority we can invest elsewhere without having to create an 'upper house' to our legislative system. That's just my opinion on the subject; however, I would like to see more perspectives on which course of action TDS should take.

As to your suggestion on the daily posts regarding the CC, I will spam my message again. I just figured that since Serenel and myself have been posting, and the RMB has our messages regarding the CC on it as we speak, people would be able to see the messages.
I will be sure to re-post something right after this.

(Founder)
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:43 pm

River wrote:BTW, if we go with just a General Assembly, who will keep them focused and inline?

Crying or Very sad honestly sometimes i feel you guys just dont listen to me Sad

if we go with the Prime Ministerial/Presidential executive policy, the person who runs as the nominees VP/DPM, if they win, they would become the Speaker of the Assembly.

as such they would keep the Assembly 'inline' as it were, keep votes on time, keep debate productive, close voting...all that sort of stuff.
Serenel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Serenel wrote:

Crying or Very sad honestly sometimes i feel you guys just dont listen to me Sad

if we go with the Prime Ministerial/Presidential executive policy, the person who runs as the nominees VP/DPM, if they win, they would become the Speaker of the Assembly.

as such they would keep the Assembly 'inline' as it were, keep votes on time, keep debate productive, close voting...all that sort of stuff.

DING DING DING, we have a winner.

(Founder)
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  River on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:00 am

So it will be the Veep/DPM who will become Speaker. Sorry for the blonde moment. Sad
River

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:03 am

River wrote:So it will be the Veep/DPM who will become Speaker. Sorry for the blonde moment. Sad

Yes ma'am, the VP / Deputy Prime Minister will be the Speaker of the House of our regional Legislature.

(Founder)
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerksborough on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:54 am

So is the consensus here that we're going for a unicameral system in which every nation state can vote, but legislation is proposed by the speaker of the house, who also happens to be an internally elected prime minister?

I think that keeping the voting floor flat will encourage more nations to get involved in the process, and will ultimately foster a stronger unity of our region. Complicated systems of government with multiple houses are really quite arcane, even in real life. With our ability to communicate around the world instantly, is it really necessary to have multiple levels of representation? Why not harness the power of the internet to create a system of government in which all citizens who are interested in voting on the issues can do so? That's what we've got in-game, so it only makes sense (in my mind) that we use it.

By what process will we elect the prime minister/house speaker?

Jerksborough

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Jerksborough wrote:So is the consensus here that we're going for a unicameral system in which every nation state can vote, but legislation is proposed by the speaker of the house, who also happens to be an internally elected prime minister?

I think that keeping the voting floor flat will encourage more nations to get involved in the process, and will ultimately foster a stronger unity of our region. Complicated systems of government with multiple houses are really quite arcane, even in real life. With our ability to communicate around the world instantly, is it really necessary to have multiple levels of representation? Why not harness the power of the internet to create a system of government in which all citizens who are interested in voting on the issues can do so? That's what we've got in-game, so it only makes sense (in my mind) that we use it.

By what process will we elect the prime minister/house speaker?

You are almost completely right with your questions. The Speaker does not have 'sole' discretion is proposing law, that is left up to the assembly itself. Essentially, everyone can 'propose' legislation.

I am pretty sure the Prime Minister will just be elected by universal suffrage; most likely a simple majority winner will hold the office, haven't really defined the election process.

(Founder)
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anglenburgh on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Serenel wrote: Shocked ummm...thats not really compromise, thats just you guys getting what you want in a bi-camerial legislature.... Embarassed Suspect

I was kidding lmao
Anglenburgh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  River on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:23 pm

I am pretty sure the Prime Minister will just be elected by universal suffrage; most likely a simple majority winner will hold the office, haven't really defined the election process.[/quote]

Agreed.
River

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:00 pm

well you see that could be a problem, especially if three people run for Prime Minister or whatever.

because we would want, i hope a system where the Prime Minister needs to get 50%+1 to get elected, therefore we may need to concieve of a way to have run off elections.
Serenel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Serenel wrote:well you see that could be a problem, especially if three people run for Prime Minister or whatever.

because we would want, i hope a system where the Prime Minister needs to get 50%+1 to get elected, therefore we may need to concieve of a way to have run off elections.

Perhaps there could be primary elections for offices where more than two candidates are running...

(Founder)
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Serenel on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:13 pm

I am fine with that, but that is essentially a run off election, i mean if someone won the Primary with 50%+1 i dont think there would be too much of a reason to hold a 'general', seeing as how the candidate has already passed the threshold.

but if thats what people want to do, i think it could be rather interesting.
Serenel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Serenel wrote:I am fine with that, but that is essentially a run off election, i mean if someone won the Primary with 50%+1 i dont think there would be too much of a reason to hold a 'general', seeing as how the candidate has already passed the threshold.

but if thats what people want to do, i think it could be rather interesting.

I suppose in this case a run-off election and primary would serve the exact same purpose.

(Founder)
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  River on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:19 pm

I would opt for verbiage stating a runoff election in case of candidates not receiving 50%+1 in a general election.
River

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cool Egg Sandwich on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:20 pm

River wrote:I would opt for verbiage stating a runoff election in case of candidates not receiving 50%+1 in a general election.

Sounds like the smartest thing. We should, at the very least, stipulate run-offs in that event.

(Founder)
Cool Egg Sandwich
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum: